Turumanipulatsioon ESga - Investeerimine - Foorum - LHV finantsportaal

LHV finantsportaal

Foorum Investeerimine

Turumanipulatsioon ESga

Kommentaari jätmiseks loo konto või logi sisse

• Mõned kuud vana asi, aga sellised asju on alati huvitav lugeda.

//I read the excerpt on 990N. I am one of the biggest traders of the emini S&P in the world as far as contracts traded per day and I have been watching 990 manipulate the market now for seven months. The thing is I don't think your guys on the floor even know the half of it.

The reason this guy has been able to control the market is because he has been crossing orders with himself for months now to make the market appear as if it were trading in a certain direction, mostly long, and eventually gets the market to trade at certain price levels and then gets the support he needs.

This is an email I wrote someone a month ago about this looking for help...

I am actually writing you to alert you to this complete market manipulation and to see if you had any pull to get the word out to different traders and the media. I am one of the biggest S&P traders in the world as far as volume per day in that I average over 40,000 round turns per day on the screen in the emini. I tell you this because that is how I know one house is completely manipulating the market everyday because of all the trades I do with this guy. I know it sounds hard to believe that one person can control a world market but trust me that is what is occurring. He works for the firm Gelber which is house 990.

This is the basic premise for his game. He waits until the market is relatively slow, around 9:30 to 10:00 everyday, usually when the "paper trade" starts to subside then he begins a theme, mostly always long and he begins to buy. He is always looking for confirmation of his theme with what other people are doing.

When the market stops trading in his direction he then drops in a offer of 300 to 700 which he sees if anyone is interested in buying it. If there is no interest he then buys the order from himself, with the order actually trading. He does this enough times until he attracts other buyers which then hits price points and the market runs violently in his direction.

I am sure I do not have to tell you that this is completely illegal to do. He started doing this with 300 lots back in November, now he has made so much money doing it that he is up to 2000 lots. He is completely in control of the market (illegally) the majority of the time.

My firm and I have contacted the Merc on three different occasions with video proof that I recorded of my trading. It shows blatantly this guy crossing his orders thousands of times a day. The first person we talked to in compliance admitted that he saw something there when they reviewed the video of the trades I taped of him. He was mysteriously fired the next day.

We then came up with more examples for them to review and in the beginning claimed he wasn't doing it. We called them a third time, this time talking to the head of compliance and he finally admitted that they had the guy under investigation because they saw something, but in the meantime he is still allowed to trade and make millions until their "investigation" is concluded.

They obviously love the volume the guy is putting up and how it makes the emini S&P look from a standpoint of a liquid market. But if the public had knowledge of what this guy was doing I don't think they would be too impressed with the liquidity.

There is obviously some kind of cover-up. Do any of the pit traders you know have knowledge this is happening? And do you have any advice on how I can anonymously get the word out with what this guy is doing? I know you are not a true tick by tick "scalper," but this is getting to the point where it is starting to effect everyone in the marketplace.//
  • Üks foorum selle kohta:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34464&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

Lisaks:
    // I was the person who went to the floor of the Mercantile Exchange on a fact finding mission. Having studied the S&P price action in every conceivable fashion, I wanted to find out why movement on the S&P had changed so much over the last 18 months. I (and others at a large hedge fund) first noticed a significant change in the trading patterns around July of 2002. After a month, the patterns returned to normal, as the market promptly went back down. Then around September 23rd (a fed meeting), we immediately noticed the trading anomalies returned, as the market promptly went back up. This is what we observed:

1. Dow 50 declines in a hour

Irrespective of the selling pressure, the Dow would not decline much more than 50 points during any one trading hour. Once it was down that much, volume of the futures would plummet (as if program trading restrictions had been triggered). (BTW; if you look in Barron's, you will notice that all domestic investment banks have now shut their program trading operations down. I wonder why they would shut down a huge profit center? Now, the largest index arbitrage operation is now ABN Ambro.) Then, after an hour, volume & price movement would pick up again as if the collar had been lifted. So, initially we thought that the Fed & NYSE had altered the program trading collars.

2. Overnight futures

In previous years, the overnight futures action was almost always wrong. Or, at the very least, the overnight price action would return to even (close the gap). Now we have so many unfilled gaps that I have lost count. However, current trading is more like someone is trying to obtain a price goal with the least numbers of futures contracts. So, bid the price up overnight, and maintain the price by sitting on the bid. There is no intraday ebb and flow whatsoever.

3. Managing the price

Once the price has been thrown up, the price level is maintained by sitting on the bid. At other times, the price is collared by putting a huge number of bids and asks on the screen. This discourages one from getting long or short. Often these orders are pulled unfilled. However, they are an effective deterrent from entering the market one way or another. Since when is most of the price on the S&P determined overnight? Any decline that is allowed to happen from these bid levels all but impossible to trade. If you short, the “inevitable” surge back to those levels is lightening quick as all the shorts cover.

4. Jam jobs

All of this leads to the number one anomaly. The massive surges in volume we have labeled “jam jobs.” Due to the lack of volatility and predictability in the S&P, the futures volume has slowed to a trickle. Thus, it has become easier and easier to maintain the price (and makes the manipulation all the more transparent). No one will short anymore for fear of the “jam jobs.” This occurs when, out of the blue, when trading is slow, someone drops market order for thousands and thousands of eminis. (we call it a “volume bomb.” It's a testament to how raw, and obvious, the manipulation is that we have a label for the routine. If you were actually trading the S&P, you would too. In fact, we find it very much like the movie Groundhog Day, every day the same tricks are used.) In the span of under 5 minutes, the price action will move (up, never down) several points.

The net effect of all this, is that shorting is impossible. Perhaps all of this does sound nutty, but if you are trading the S&P, you are dealing with this every single day. Rather than lazily dismissing something offhand, I encourage anyone to contact somebody who trades the S&P eminis (preferably on Globex). Then, ask them about the price action and the counterparty 990N.

5. Proof of price manipulation

The best proof of price manipulation is the price movement. We haven't had a 2% down day on the S&P in 278 trading days. Look at the change in the statistics of downside volatility:

-1.00% -2.00% -3.00% Price % Decline
    Trading
    Days
    2004 121 11 - -
    2003 250 58 13 3
    7-12 03 122 17 1 0
    1-6 03 128 41 12 3
    2002 251 86 33 10
    2001 248 67 16 4
    2000 252 73 25 7
    1999 252 67 15 1
    1998 252 62 15 4
    1997 252 61 11 2

2004 100.00% 9.1% 0.0% 0.0% % of Days
    7-12 03 100.00% 13.9% 0.8% 0.0%
    1-6 03 100.00% 32.0% 9.4% 2.3%
    2003 100.00% 23.2% 5.2% 1.2%
    2002 100.00% 34.3% 13.1% 4.0%
    2001 100.00% 27.0% 6.5% 1.6%
    2000 100.00% 29.0% 9.9% 2.8%
    1999 100.00% 26.6% 6.0% 0.4%
    1998 100.00% 24.6% 6.0% 1.6%
    1997 100.00% 24.2% 4.4% 0.8%

Moreover, over the past 18 months we have had a slew of historic upside movements. Twice in the last 18 months, we have had 8 straight up days in the futures. (And up 7/8 days once.) This has not occurred once in the last eight years (other than the two mentioned). During one run, we were up 24 of 27 trading days, which occurs about once a decade since 1940. In May, the futures were up 12 of 14 days, which occurs about once every 5 years//

Teemade nimekirja

Küpsised

Et pakkuda sulle parimat kasutajakogemust, kasutame LHV veebilehel küpsiseid. Valides "Nõustun", annad nõusoleku kõikide küpsiste kasutamiseks. Tutvu küpsiste kasutamise põhimõtetega.

pirukas_icon